Thursday, January 6, 2011

King of The Dunghill

This is the time of year when we return from the holiday vacation and get back in the daily grind. In the last few days there's been some serious mistakes I've personally made, mostly in the area of ungratefulness to those around me and also in the area of my work at the University. The dunghill of academia.

Speaking of dunghills, I was reading about David this morning.  The "bible" David. He was a scrawny teenager at the time, the little "pouty brat" according to his brothers.

The bible "David" had brothers similar to me as I was the eldest in our family of six.  Today my brother (who is also David) are really close. It wasn't always that way. Back in the 60s we had to share a bedroom. We drew an imaginary line between our twin beds and I looked him straight in the eye one day, "don't you dare cross it, bro!"

As the story goes, the bible David was sent to the Israeli front lines to deliver a picnic lunch for his brothers.

David wasn't old enough to go to war or be a soldier. He was a shepherd. In the scheme of life, he was the lowest ranking shepherd. He probably stepped in sheep "poop" lots of times. It was a mundane task, "keep the sheep here" his dad would say. It was a boring job.

In my mind, David was sort of like the actor Michael J Fox in "Back to the Future."  He was looking for adventure!


So, as the story goes, one day a lion stops by for a lamb chop. God whispers in his ear. "Go after that lion, I'll protect you."

David reaches for a stone and places it in his slingshot. "Why not, what have I got to lose?"

Most teens wouldn't do what David did. I wasn't too excited as a teenager when dad asked me to wash the car, mow the lawn or take out the garbage.

Fast forward a few months.

David shows up with his sack of cheese burgers and fries for his brothers. There's this loud verbal exchange going on between the Philistines and the Hebrew soldiers.

"God doesn't exist, you peons! You are idiot chickens. Israel doesn't exist, you are not a nation and you crossed our borders.... scram ... I am warning you... we will send in terrorists to blow you up if you don't stop."

David hears this and wonders, why doesn't somebody do something about this? As the story goes, Goliath was a big man. Some scholars estimate his height about 9 feet. In those days, it seems there were some big people. Not obese people, BIG PEOPLE.

King Saul has offered a prize to anyone who would fight Goliath. Saul feels a tug on his robe. He looks down and sees David.

Can you imagine what does through Saul's mind? Here is the commander of all the Israeli military. The great general who doesn't know what to do. 

His brothers weigh in. "Send him home, our dad will be so ticked off and .. besides... these cheesburgers don't have pickles and onions on them. Where's the ketchup?"

Saul knows he doesn't have too many options. Maybe David could go in.  He could try and protect this kid if he's going to go out. The best armour on David is placed on him. He is a scrawny teen can barely walk around.

This whole situation calls for modern warfare, doesn't it? Ballastic missles or nuclear warheads!

David goes to the stream and collects 5 smooth stones.

Today, some bible scholars assign great theological meaning to these five stones. I don't see it that way. I think it was more practical. Goliath had 4 brothers and he knew they would be the first men to attack after their brother was slaughtered.

You know the rest of the story. If you don't ..... call up your childhood Sunday school teacher.

Anyway, I got to thinking. I need to appreciate the dunghill more and maybe I need to have excitement when I undertake the simple tasks in life. Make it an adventure! Is there some boring thing you do everyday? Stop and listen. Is there a small, quiet voice  whispering in your ear to go about it differently?


No comments:

Post a Comment