Monday, December 17, 2012

Christian Narcissism

Тhe myth of Narcissus is an old and varied tale, one story depicts Narcissus gazing at his own reflection (becoming transfixed by his beauty). A painting created by Italian Baroque master Caravaggio, painted circa 1597-1599 conveys a bit of the concept: the figure of Narcissus is enamored with his own reflection, surrounded by darkness, so that he sees nothing of the world around him. However, to be clear the nacissist is an individual who is described as being excessively preoccupied with issues of personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity.




So has narcissism crept into evangelical christianity? My non-religious friends are quick to point out spiritual insincerity and narcissitic thinking in my own thinking. In fact, I wonder if my even having a blog is a narcissit activity? I don't know. In any case, I am grateful for the feedback from wherever it comes really. It is important to listen to critics of the faith and to be challenged in our thinking.


Normally, we think of TV preachers as "narcissist" when all they are interested in is money. This encampasses a number of organizations and generally include the distribution of various books and video tapes that promote personal benefit in exchange for giving a large gift. One minisistry in the 1980s was a husband and wife televangelist team Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker. They promised donors a lavish hotel room for a week if they gave at a certain dollar level.

But, is a spriritual narcissism popularity surfacing in christianity? Is it affecting the church? Is it blinding our leaders? Is it paralyzing our call to service? 

Sometimes narcissim invades my own thinking. I come to church and sit there thinking, why doesn't the pastor shake my hand after the service? Or,  I critique the music or the sermon and wonder why it didn't fit my needs. Why do I have to sit next to this loud child, isn't he disturbing my worship experience?

So, I've discovered that even in evangelical Christianity, it is invading us subconciously. OK, I know we need to have self-esteem and self-control. Those are biblical concepts.  And... we do need to personalize the gospel and have a personal identity for what the cross means. But, sometimes it goes too far.

Consider how it has crept into the contemporary christian music industry with lyrics from the music group FFH:

One of these days I'm gonna see the hands
That took the nails for me
One of these days I'm gonna hold the keys
To the mansion built for me
One of these days I'm gonna walk the streets of gold
That were paved for me

I guess this song is catchy and indeed I enjoy the melody. In fact, I've even purchased this group's music and CDs and do believe the total message of this group is a positive one of Christianity. But,  is it indeed true that paradise was only created for me? Isn't that what some proponents of Islam also teach....  that in paradise one will die and be surrounded 72 virgins?  

A quick view of the new testament reveals some interesting contradictions to what we've come to accept in Evangelical circles. Didn't Jesus say.. “I did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give my life as a ransom for many;” “Whoever wants to be first must become last;” “Whoever wants to be great among must become the slave of all;” and then bowed in submission to the Father and said, “Not my will, but yours.”

What do you think? Are Christians becoming absorbed in the culture of narcissism?

No comments:

Post a Comment